Creating tools, documentation and assets for third party developers on the BlackBerry 10 platform.
What did I do?
Synchronizing documentation to a constantly shifting product.
Understanding the user without meeting the actual user.
Developer Journeys and Personas
We tried to get an understanding for what our users had to do to make things for previous platforms; like their journey through our sites and tools, to be able to reach their goals.
When we started out, we tried to get a feeling for what our developer needed to do right now to develop for our platform.
We tried to put ourselves in the users’ shoes by creating apps ourselves. We also set up interviews to get a thorough understanding for what caused problems and what should be improved. In the absence of direct contact with developers, we also got insights through support channels and staff frequenting develop events.
From the things we learned, we created personas and used these in scenarios.
Ideation, Architecture and Wireframes
Based on our understanding of the users and their journeys, we tried to find solutions, built an information architecture and sketched our ideas.
Based on our findings, we ideated around what could be done to make the experience better.
We tried to find a style and attitude for copy and documentation that would resonate well with our audience.
We kept iterating on information architecture, navigation and layout of pages.
Building and Iterating
Everything was done over two or three week sprints to keep in sync with the UI framework development team.
Instead of making extensive documentation on how something should work, we quickly built prototypes to try it out and put them against our scenarios and personas.
These activities were synced against the UI framework development team and internal releases were made every two weeks.
Learnings from previous sprints and testing was fed into the project backlog.
While developing websites and other assets we also created a live style guide so that we did not have to keep reinventing the wheel each time a new page or tool had to be created.
This also helped to speed up prototyping as less time had to be focused on components and more time on the actual problem to solve.